Two members of the Fullerton College community earned top honors at the North Orange County Community College District Board of Trustees
meeting on June 26. Miguel Miranda and Gerald Padilla each received the 2018 North Star Award for their exceptional work at the college.
Established by Chancellor’s Staff during the 2016-17 academic year, NOCCCD’s North Star Award recognizes employees for their outstanding contributions and work performance throughout the district.
As the facilities coordinator, Miranda performs a variety of jobs including coordination of event setups, furniture and office moves, truck off-loading, mail delivery, new equipment management, installation and so much more.
“Miguel Miranda is the ultimate in planning and execution,” said Fullerton College President Greg Schulz. “He promotes positive morale through a congenial, supportive attitude and by providing outstanding service to others.”
Professor Gerald Padilla is one of Fullerton College’s most beloved and well-known professors. He began teaching American History as an adjunct professor in 1969 and became a full-time ethnic studies professor in 1972.
“He has been completely immersed and a prime mover at Fullerton College for more than 46 years,”
Schulz said. Although recently retired, Padilla plans to remain active with the Fullerton College community and will transition to elementary education as a volunteer teacher’s resource and instructional aide.
Miranda and Padilla were honored with the prestigious award along with four other recipients in the district. The individuals exemplify extraordinary service to students, campuses, and their communities. Additional honorees were:
- Deann Burch, Career Center Coordinator, Cypress College
- Yanet Garcia, (STEM)2 Program Director, Cypress College
- Norma Alvarado, Deputy Sector Navigator & Advanced Manufacturing OC Director, Center for Applied Competitive Technologies, NOCE
- Tina King, Interim Dean of Instruction & Student Services, Wilshire Center, NOCE
The North Star Award is based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated excellence in overall work performance
- Promoted positive morale through a congenial, supportive attitude and by providing service to others
- Put forth an effort to improve self as well as to develop and recognize others
- Exhibited initiative and creativity on tasks or issues that support student success, improve operating efficiency, increase productivity, and/or address District Strategic Directions
- Enhanced the image of the institution and/or District
For more information and a list of all 2018 North Star Award recipients visit https://www.nocccd.edu/