Four members of the Fullerton College community earned top honors at the North Orange County Community College District Board of Trustees meeting in May. Fine Arts faculty Philip Dimitriadis, Frank Guthrie, and Michael Sheehan, as well as Business Office specialist Catalina Olmeda, each received the 2019 North Star Award for their outstanding work at the college.
Established by the Chancellor’s Staff, NOCCCD’s North Star Award recognizes employees for their outstanding contributions and work performance throughout the district.
Working primarily in strengthening budget management, Business Office specialist Catalina Olmeda has been a dedicated employee of the district for more than 12 years. Olmeda has become the campus’ No. 1 resource for accounting and compliance questions. She often spends hours of her day teaching and training colleagues across campus on the proper way to submit requisitions, transfer charges, monitor budgets, and navigate Banner.
“Catalina takes pride in every aspect of her job, especially making sure that everything that comes across her desk is accurate and meets compliance,” said Fullerton College President Greg Schulz. “Her smile and positive attitude are contagious and she’s an invaluable asset to the campus.”
Digital Arts instructors Philip Dimitriadis, Frank Guthrie, and Michael Sheehan were each recognized for a number of ways they connect students to the Digital Arts program at Fullerton College.
“The Digital Arts Department has had a tremendous impact not only on Fullerton College students but as a resource and educational partner with the greater Fullerton community,” said Schulz. “Because of the work of these three faculty members, outreach has been expanding, campus collaboration with other programs on campus has been increasing, and partnerships for dual enrollment with three major school districts in Orange County have been established.”
All four Hornets were honored with the prestigious award along with four other recipients in the district. The individuals exemplify extraordinary service to students, campuses, and their communities. Additional honorees were:
- Phylip Dykstra, Director, Institutional Research & Planning, Cypress College
- Marcia Jeffredo, Locksmith, Cypress College
- Jennifer Perez, Director of Campus Communications, North Orange Continuing Education
- Hilda Rivera, CAEP Special Projects Manager, North Orange Continuing Education
Recipients of the North Star Award are selected based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated excellence in overall work performance
- Promoted positive morale through a congenial, supportive attitude and by providing service to others
- Put forth an effort to improve self as well as to develop and recognize others
- Exhibited initiative and creativity on tasks or issues that support students success, improve operating efficiency, increase productivity, and/or address District strategic directions
- Enhanced the image of the institution and/or District